Functional Roundup for April 12, 2017
- by Maureen Elsberry
- April 12, 2017
- functional roundup• scala• sbt• cats• http4s• scala ide• clojure
Here are some of the latest updates, projects, talks, articles, and events in the Functional Programming community:
The sbt team has unveiled the latest technology preview for sbt 1.0 with v0.13.15.
The release features a variety of improvements, bug fixes, and removes the Maven version range. Some of the highlights include:
- Preliminary JDK 9 support
- Adds “local-preloaded” repository for offline installation
- Automatically sets
scalaCompilerBridgeSourcecorrectly, reducing the boilerplate needed to make a dotty project (when sbt detects projects being compiled with dotty)
.triggeredBy/.storeAs/etcnot working when using := and
That’s just a small sampling. You can read the full release notes here: sbt 0.13.15 release.
On April 6th, the latest release candidate for Scala IDE made itself known. There are quite a few changes, fixes for compilation errors, and updates for some dependencies.
According to the release, a few changes include:
- Modifies wrong object descriptor
- Prepares Scala IDE to run with Scala 2.12.1
- Adds sourceLevel property to preferences
- Adapts Scala refactoring config
Scala IDE 4.6.0-RC1 is fully compatible with Scala 2.12.
View the full change log here: Scala IDE 4.6.0-RC-1 is out.
https4s dropped a handful of releases on us this week including v0.16.0-M1, v0.15.8, and v0.17.0-M1 so clearly there are quite a few changes.
According to the changelog, the releases feature of variety of changes including:
- All scalaz types and typeclasses have been replaced by the cats equivalents
- Upgrades dependencies for various modules like: circe-0.7.1, scalacheck-1.13.5, json4s-3.5.1 and more
- Adds a
WebjarServicefor serving files out of web jars.
MaybeResponse, which can be a
Pass. There is a
Semigroup[MaybeResponse]instance that allows
HttpServices to be chained as a semigroup.
service orElse anotherServiceis deprecated in favor of
service |+| anotherService.
- Cache charset lookups to avoid synchronization
- Strip fragment from request target in blaze-client
That’s just a small selection of what’s going on in these updates. View the full change log here: http4s changelog.
Additional great content and news:
Suggested information to digest this week:
The functional programming community has no shortage of excellent conferences, talks, and articles. Here are just a few that were released that we recommend checking out if you missed them the first time:
Herdy Handoko presented Dotty: A next generation Scala compiler at the Singapore Scala Meetup. Check out the slides here:
Roman Podoliaka presented Debugging of Python with gdb at PyCon Ukraine 2017. Check out the slides here:
- April 19-21, 2017
- Swisshotel - Chicago, IL
- May 9, 2017
- Universidade de Lisboa - Lisbon, Portugal
- May 12, 2017
- Microsoft Headquarters - Lisbon, Portugal