Functional Roundup for June 9, 2017
Here are some of the latest updates, projects, talks, articles, and events in the Functional Programming community:
Scala.js 0.6.17 was released on June 4th and includes a few new feature and a bunch of bug-fixes.
Bug fixes in this release include:
- #2943/#2827 - fixes performance regression in the optimizer and slow incremental linking times for fastOptJS (with ScalaTest)
- #2845 - fixes issue where Scala.js compilier wasn’t passing through UTF-8 correctly for dependencies
- #2798 - Allows the sbt plugin to work when run on Java 9
The main new feature, according to the release is, “ the ability for facade libraries to support both the traditional
NoModule style, where JS libraries are exposed as global variables and accessed through
@JSGlobal, and the
CommonJSModule style, where JS libraries are imported through
You can read the full announcement here: Announcing Scala.js 0.6.17.
Freestyle simplifies and promotes applications and libraries built on top of a purely functional style.
Version 0.2.0 released this week and focuses on optimizations on the runtime for faster evaluations of handlers and runtime optimization over the Coproduct algebra lookup. New features and bug fixes include:
- #310 - Adds FunctorK for finally tagless
- #315 - Optimization: Replace FunctionK pattern matching with JVM switch for faster @free programs
- #326 - Use nested coproduct list support from Iota 0.2.x
You can read the full release notes here: Freestyle 0.2.0 changelog.
Google Cloud Platform announced the release of Spinnaker 1.0 on Tuesday, June 6th.
Spinnaker is an open source multi-cloud continuous delivery platform that was first developed by Netflix.
The platform has built-in support for many of Google Cloud Platform’s including Google Container Engine and Google Compute Engine as well as Microsoft Azure, Kubernetes, and more.
Along with this release, Google has announced a new open source command line interface (CLI) tool called halyard.
You can check out the full announcement here: Spinnaker 1.0: a continuous delivery platform for cloud.
Additional great content and news:
Suggested information to digest this week:
The functional programming community has no shortage of excellent conferences, talks, and articles. Here are just a few that were released from Scala Days Copenhagen that we recommend checking out if you missed them the first time.
Martin Odersky presented What’s Different in Dotty. You can watch the video here:
Isabel Drost-Fromm presented Open source is just about the source, isn’t it?. You can watch the video here:
Eric Torreborre presented Practical Eff Monad. You can watch the video here:
- June 19 - 20, 2017
- Universitat Politécnica de Catalunya - Barcelona, Spain
- June 20 - 23, 2017
- Hard Club - Porto, Portugal
- July 21 - 22, 2017
- Morris J. Wosk Centre Vancouver, BC