Functional Roundup for August 15, 2016
- by Maureen Elsberry
- August 15, 2016
- news• scaladex• scala• kafka• functional roundup
- 5 minutes to read.
ScalaDex Beta V.1 Released
We’ve been raving about ScalaDex since the first announcement at Scala Days in NYC, now, the first beta version has been unleashed on the public!
ScalaDex (The Scala Package Index) serves as a map of all released Scala libraries (does not yet include snapshots) and has a bevy of awesome features, including the ability to:
- Browse through over 100,000 releases of Scala libraries grouped into projects, artifacts, targets, and versions.
- Search for libraries based on targets compiled for use with Scala.js, Scala 2.11.x, and Scala 2.12.x.
- Edit and tag projects with keywords
You can check out a walkthrough of ScalaDex’s features here:
We consider ourselves lucky to be a part of this project, in conjunction with Guillaume Massé and the Scala Center.
Project owners are encouraged to log in with their GitHub accounts and edit their projects where need be. In particular, they’re looking for you to plug in project keywords to assist in improving search results.
Functional Streams for Scala 0.9.0-RC1
Functional Streams, formally known as scalaz-streams, has released version 0.9.0-RC1.
Major highlights according to Michael Pilquist include:
- 696 - Functions for working with Java input streams and output streams have been moved from
- 697 -
Stream.Handlehas been renamed to
Steptype and the
#:extractor have been removed and replaced with
- 701 - The functions on
Handle[F,A => Pull[F,O,R]]have been moved to
Handle. For example,
- 704 -
nonemptywas renamed to
nonEmptyin various functions.
Pending any unexpected issues arising, the final release of 0.9.0 shoud be out by September: Release 0.9.0-RC1 #702
Apache Kafka 0.10.0.1 Released
This release fixes 53 pesky bugs from 0.10.0.1 as well as a handful of improvements and a singular new feature. According to the official release notes, these include:
- 3538 - Abstract the creation/retrieval of Producer for stream sinks for unit testing.
- 3667 - Improve Section 7.2 Encryption and Authentication using SSL to include proper hostname verification configuration.
- 3683 - Add file descriptor recommendation to ops guide.
- 3699 - Update protocol page on website to explain how KIP-35 should be used.
- 3725 - Update documentation with regards to XFS.
- 3747 - Close
RecordBatch.recordswhen append to batch fails.
- 3185 - Allow users to cleanup internal data.
- 3258 - BrokerTopicMetrics of deleted topics are never deleted.
- 3393 - Update site docs and javadoc based on max.block.ms changes.
- 3500 - KafkaOffsetBackingStore set method needs to handle null.
- 3718 - propagate all KafkaConfig __consumer_offsets configs to OffsetConfig instantiation.
You can view the full list of changes here: Apache Kafka Version 0.10.0
Suggested information to digest this weekend:
The functional programming community has no shortage of excellent conferences, talks, and articles. Here are just a few that were recently released that we recommend checking out if you missed them the first time:
- Logging in Scala
- Scala at the Sea August Meetup
These slides go through John’s new Scala Logging library:
- Building Scalable Stateful Services
- Nike Tech Talks
Caitie McCaffrey explains,
“The Stateless Service design principle has become ubiquitous in the tech industry for creating horizontally scalable services. However our applications do have state, we just have moved all of it to caches and databases. Today as applications are becoming more data intensive and request latencies are expected to be incredibly low, we’d like the benefits of stateful services, like data locality and sticky consistency. In this talk I will address the benefits of stateful services, how to build them so that they scale, and discuss distributed and scalable services and lessons learned from scaling these in the real world.”
View the slides here:
- The Scala Meetup
- Data By the Bay
Dick Wall hosted the Scala Meetup during the 2016 Data By the Bay and covers an abundance of topics surrounding Scala and related technologies.
Watch the talk here:
- August 16th
- Dexcom - Portland, OR
- September 10-14th
- The Rheged Centre - Cumbria, UK
- September 30th - October 1st
- Palacio de Congresos - Cádiz, Spain
- October 4-5th
- Hyatt Regency Autin - Austin, TX