Functional Roundup for August 2, 2017
- by Maureen Elsberry
- August 02, 2017
- functional roundup• scala• idris• typelevel
- 3 minutes to read.
Here are some of the latest updates, projects, talks, articles, and events in the Functional Programming community:
On Wednesday, July 26th, Scala 2.12.3 was released.
According to the release, the update features a significantly improved compiler time, a new optimizer setting, and improved support for implicit macros.
Other changes include:
- 5978 - Avoid calling static initializers when reflecting on Java classes
- 5964 - New setting
-opt-inline-fromto control where to inline from
- 5848 - add per-phase profiling to scalac
- 5879 - -Xlint:unused - Ywarn-unused is intuitive
- 5931 - Upgrade to jline 2.14.4
Read the full release notes here: Scala 2.12.3.
Tuesday, August 1st saw the release of Idris 1.1.0.
According to the release, updates include:
Text.PrettyPrint.WL, an implementation of the Wadler-Leijen Pretty-Print algorithm.
- Added utility functions to
Data.SortedSet (contrib), most notably
merge, merging two maps by their
- New instances:
View the complete list of changes here: Idris 1.1.0 released.
On Wednesday, August 2nd, Miles Sabin announced the availability of Typelevel Scala 4 for Scala 2.11.1, 2.12.3, and 2.13.0-M2.
Some of the features in this release include:
- 5649 - Faster compilation of inductive implicits (by Miles Sabin
- 5350 - Configurable default imports (by Andy Scott
- 5617 - Exhaustivity of extractors, guards, and unsealed traits (by Greg Pfeil
- 5245 - Trailing commas (by Dale Wijnand
As usual, the new features exist as a PR against Lightbend Scala and are being considered for merging.
View the full list of changes here: Typelevel Scala 4 released.
Bonus: Also announced is the release of Shapeless 2.3.1 for Scala 2.13.0-M2
Additional great content and news:
Suggested information to digest this week:
The functional programming community has no shortage of excellent conferences, talks, and articles. Here are just a few that were released that we recommend checking out if you missed them the first time. Scala Wave 2017 edition!
Jon Pretty presented Impromptu: Dependently-Typed Async at Scala Wave 2017. You can watch the video here:
Roland Kuhn presented Akka Typed at Scala Wave 2017. You can watch the video here:
Miles Sabin presented Typelevel 2017 at Scala Wave 2017. You can watch the video here:
- August 8, 2017
- Curalate - Seattle, WA
- October 26 - 27, 2017
- Palacio de Congresos - Cádiz, Spain
- November 2 - 3, 2017
- CPE School - Lyon, France